Translate

Thursday 15 November 2018

Capitulum Duo: pars duo


Salvete Omnies!

Apologies to all, I had completely forgot to update the blog of my most recent work.  I've been distracted on a side project for the last few days (more on that later). So as I said in my previous post I was going to attempt a large illuminated image based upon the events described in chapter 2.  So I had two opens, the wedding at Cana or the more dramatic cleansing of the temple.  Needless to say I went with the dramatic.  For a few reasons but I am not going to bore you with them now. 

I decided to simplify the design from the original (as seen in previous post). As this was my first attempt I wanted to keep things as simple as I could.




Before even painting this I could see why manuscripts often went for as much gold as they could in the background. The effect is very eye catching especially in daylight.  There were a few things I wasn't happy about while doing this.  Some rogue gold crossing lines here and there, but for the most part I am really pleased with the effect.






Finally five days later I finish the illumination, and I now have a deeper appreciation for all those manuscripts and the effort that has gone into them.  I mean this is rather simple in comparison to what I have seen and it took me five days working two to three hours a night to complete this one image.
 
Not much else I can say now other than looking forward to progressing onto chapter three.  I am not sure how often I will make pages like this.  I am thinking perhaps 4 or 5 more maybe? We will see, I'll probably change my mind and do one every other chapter knowing me.  However, I will be posting about that side project soon. 
 
Until then!
 
Valete!

 

 

1 comment: