Translate

Wednesday 14 February 2018

Ego Scriba!



I look exactly like this, sorta
Welcome to Ego Scriba (I scribe).  If you are here, you either know me, or I've pestered you to come here, or you are very lost.  I'll get it out of the way and say I don't like blogs.  However a blog is probably the easiest method to keep everyone updated on what I am doing.  Basically the idea is a single place where I upload and post updates regarding my past, present and future calligraphy projects.  My work mostly focuses on illuminated manuscripts, prayers in both Latin and English.  I have created non religious works for friends which I have enjoyed.  I try to do something new with every project to push the learning forward and give myself a challenge.  I decided to kick start this blog off on Ash Wednesday as the current and new project are of a religious nature.  The current project is a collection of prayers used in the Traditional Latin Mass accompanied with additional prayers to be added over time. 





So far the first two pages have been completed, the "Asperges me" and "Vidi Aquam".  This is the first manuscript project I've undertaken.  Normally I work with individual sheets of vellum or vellum like material.  I've yet to try a single "book" until now. Following the "Asperges me" and "Vidi aquam" the Gloria and Credo will follow.  After this the Prayer to the Sovereign followed with the Leonine prayers, then the Rosary Mysteries.  After this I will be taking suggestions as to what should be added next.


The new project beginning with Lent, is an entire reproduction of the Gospel of John.  Complete with Illuminated letters at the beginning of each chapter, and entirely in Latin.  This will be a very long term project and I fully expect this to go well into 2019 if not longer before it is complete.

So welcome to Ego Scriba, please feel free to comment and ask questions.  The next post will be concerning work I've done up to this point.

Valete!


No comments:

Post a Comment