Translate

Monday 19 November 2018

Equus Troianus

Salvete omnes!

Ecce, Equus Troianus!

So that side project I mentioned in the last blog, was a gift that I was working on.  So what do you get a priest on their 30th year of ordination?  Well you asked me the answer is clearly some crazy Greek rabbits and the Trojan horse.  Or at the very least you draw a few.

Lately I seem to be stuck with the most unimaginative letters to try and make interesting.  I have started to loathe the E and I.  They can be interesting, but they are a lot more difficult to do anything with. 


When in doubt however, a little white gold detailing can go a long way. And lets face it, if commercial Christmas has taught us anything, red, gold and silver go perfectly together.
















The text itself comes from the Aeneid, the moment when the Trojan horse (which is technically a Greek horse but whatever) opens up with Ulysses, Menelaus and their fellow Greeks jump up and destroy the city.  So I added some details, a Spartan shield in the border, a spear along the top to frame the text.  The red is also a colour associated with Sparta (as well as my Christmas excuse).





 The complete text
And keeping with the weird tradition.  I decided that my Greek warriors should be non-other than rabbits.  Complete with shield, spear, axe and horn.  Not sure how the Spartans would take to my interpretation of events.  Fortunately I won't ever have to find out!









All sealed with a wax seal coated in 24ct Gold.  A great tip from a friend (you know who you are!).

Valete!




 


1 comment: