Translate

Monday 5 March 2018

Tertius nuntius: Capitulum Primum

Salvete!


So here we are, I have finally completed the first chapter of the Gospel of John.  There was some delay in continuing the work.  After the first page I had discovered that there was considerable bleedthrough to the reverse of the page.  I decided to skip the reverse side and move onto the second page.  I was hoping that the bleedthrough was basically a symptom of being the first page (technically second) of the book. 



I have to say I am getting faster at lining paper.  I have to say out of all the steps needed in calligraphy this is the worst.  If you look at old examples you'll see that this was done back in the day, I can only assume they disliked it as much as I did.  The text turned out fantastic, nice and uniform as I was hoping it would.  Somewhat frustratingly there was very little bleedthrough.  I was secretly hoping it would be very much like the first page so my choice would be clear.  The problem I was facing was; is the first page the norm, or the second?  I decided to work under the assumption that the second page was the norm and wrote on the reverse.


End result, the first chapter came out fantastically. The plan now is a small illuminated letter to mark the start of the second chapter, probably 1/4 the size of the front page.



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment